Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Write the Novel You Know You Have Inside You

So here I am, at around 12:30 am, and I’m searching the web for ideas for a list of things to do before I die. I came across this one. Interestingly, I’m going down this list, and checking off the things I’ve already done, like “get to know your neighbours” and “plant a tree.”

I keep going down until I get to this particular one: “Write the Novel You Know You Have Inside You.” How do I respond? By blogging. Of course, it has to be my first response because it’s what I’d prefer to do over going to sleep, realizing that I have to be up in about 6 hours.

Apart from that point, though. I thought I’d blog (after a long time) because thinking about where I want to be, and the kinds of things I want to do, made me realize that there is a lot that I know I’m capable of, but that I haven’t quite let myself do yet.

One of the biggest worries for me is what I’m going to do in the future, because despite the fact that I’m happy now, I’m not sure where I’ll be in a few short months. To some extent, I know what I want – I just haven’t pushed myself to get there, and the thought that I’m presented with now, that I already know that there is something inside me worth doing, means that now I have to live up to it.

So my question for myself, and that I often find myself asking, is “where do I begin?”

Where did many great writers begin? In the beginning. I guess for me, it’s somewhere I can start looking from.

No comments:

Post a Comment