Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

The People Hypothesis: The Parent-Child Relationship

The Hypothesis: Parents and children exist in transitivity; parents want children to live through them, but unconsciously, parents also try to live through their children.

It has often occurred to me that the way a parent raises a child depends on how they themselves were raised. It isn’t just a matter of echoing the way the parents themselves were raised: the parents also set up a kind of framework unique to themselves as a means of improving upon the way they were raised. This supposed improvement is based on a subjective and context sensitive system of conditions which establish in the minds of the parents a set of things that need to be done in order to make life better for their children. From a personal perspective, my parents often tell me that they are the way they are around me because they want to see me succeed without having to struggle like them; I often find myself asking “what does this mean for me?” They know what they want for me, and I know what I want for me, but where do those two points meet?

My dad once told me that he’s militant towards me because he wants to be able to hold his head up high when talking about me; and that brought an interesting point to mind which I notice in few parents. The thought is that my parents want to be proud of me, because they want to see me succeed. Consequently, they want me to succeed so they can say they were successful as parents. What this translates to is not only the parents trying to impart their lessons to their children and trying to get them to live through those lessons, but also having their memory remain in their child, so that they can both live through their children, and be the means by which their children learn to live.

Hypothesis: In this instance, the hypothesis is a matter of personal experience, but it seems likely from what I’ve seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment